Wednesday 14 April 2010

Twinkle Twinkle

In my madness, am seriously considering how long it would take to put together a ship chandelier. I have been seeing ones cropping up for months and am always entranced by how magical they look in a room.

Zgallerie makes these ones for $799 in  California, which is a bit rich for my blood:
Close this window

 They do look lovely in a room though.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiEpv82OtN1aZnbmsCZ6AvRihmjDG1ztbkp4QJYReV5p1DR9L0OkrsLuLqGQgdW9sbtk_9vG6SQOj7xCCzCX6HyCSNLKMTNoEt4QzRVr0jr0vTnVXkphshAXMlexg8Mn7x3smRNLfdMiI2v/s400/crystal+ship+chandelier.jpg

Looks like they might have modeled it off of this antique one for $2000! Eek.

Here is a gorgeous antique Celtic one. Anchor and rudder are a great touch:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/30/36562177_97102ca672.jpg

The next one is listed on 1stdibs with no price. Would hate to see how much it is going for. Listed as early 1890s.
http://elitechoice.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/crystal_chandelier.jpg

Amazingly, they have some very detailed shots of the wirework and it looks even simpler than I'd thought.
downloading...

Looks like there is only a simple wire frame and the crystals are attached with a thinner, handwoven wire web. Much easier than soldering every join. Hmmm...A solder iron, some wire, TONS of crystals and a few months should probably do it, non? (no, I am NOT kidding! Figure it would be like making jewellery, only on a much larger scale.). The only thing I would really need, which I don't have, is patience!

I want the celtic looking one with the dragon's head, though. Dragon's head. Must be able to find one somewhere I can modify.
Then I started thinking 'Ok, if not a ship, then what? What other forms would be interesting?' ...and of course someone has already gone there!

Check THIS OUT! By a company called Rock and Royal in Rotterdam:
royals chandeliers

The artist, Hans van Bentem, will make anything you want, as evidenced by the below 'meat and two veg' chandelier. Now I am all for a good laugh, but not sure I would want this one hanging over my dining room table!

A few more - these umbrellas are quite whimsical.

Oh, so very tempting. Only thing is what would I make...and where would I put it?

Will this be one of those failed attempts at wonderous madness? Must roost and think!

No comments:

Post a Comment